Credit Insurance Risk Transfer
Credit Insurance Risk Transfer™ (CIRT™) transactions transfer credit risk on a pool of loans to an insurance provider, which may then transfer that risk to one or more reinsurers, complementing Fannie Mae's other current risk transfer offerings that leverage the capital markets.
As of Q4 2022, $749B of unpaid principal balance of Single-Family mortgage loans has been partially covered through CIRT transactions, measured at the time of the transactions.
- CIRT is designed to be flexible, offering both post-acquisition and front-end CIRT transactions, while covering various loan types acquired by Fannie Mae.
- Reinsurers generally have diversified books of business that are not heavily concentrated in or highly correlated to U.S. residential mortgage risk, making the reinsurance market a significant and attractive source of private capital.
- As the largest manager of residential mortgage credit, we set the standard for managing credit risk throughout the life cycle of a mortgage – continuously innovating to reduce default risk and credit losses.
- Contact us if you are you a reinsurer who would like to learn more about our CIRT program.
- Access the latest Capital Markets news and information, including commentaries, policy announcements, and more.
- Sign up to receive the latest information about your areas of interest including CRT, MBS and ESG.